Monday, January 10, 2011

Crazy Snow Day

I was out and about early this morning and the snow was already icing the roads before the sun was even peeking above the horizon. I had to drive extremely slow and I still hit patches that made me feel uneasy. I had to get Ronan's mask fitted and also take in something for Xander to his doctor. I'd go into details as to what the item was but I feel perhaps it is TMI. Plus if Xander reads this someday he may greatly disapprove of my disclosure. In other words we'll leave it at that.After I dropped off the unmentionable item I made my way less than a quarter of a mile to the respiratory equipment office. This took me about 15 minutes. Once we arrived the staff didn't know what to do with us. Ronan is one of the only children they have ever fit for a CPAP mask. The doctor's orders called for a full face mask but all their full face masks would have consumed his head with a lot left over. Although I have to say the mask they did pick also has face consuming properties.
The Respiratory therapist searched for quite awhile but found nothing too great. The chosen mask is ginormous and I'm thinking the heaviness alone will be intolerable for Ronan. The therapist asked me to give it a try and I plan on doing just that. In the meantime the therapist is going to see if he can special order something better.I made my way home very slowly and was relieved to finally edge my way up our icy driveway. The afternoon I spent with the kids since I'd been gone all morning and was leaving late afternoon for classes. I had to leave two hours earlier than usual because I had to get books at two different campuses and the lines for these books were out of control.

After getting my books I arrived just in time for class. Speech class was my first class and I found out I have the joy of saying three speeches. No, I'm not thrilled but I need this class. I have to do an introductory speech about a significant person, event or thing in my life. I'm thinking I'll do that one on how I met Isaac. The second speech is an informative speech and you can use any subject to educated the class on. I'm going to choose Down Syndrome and have it double as an awareness speech. I want to give as many people as possible the real facts about people with Down Syndrome and if I can erase even a fraction of the stereotypes it'll have been worth it.
The third speech is a persuasive speech and I haven't the slightest clue where to start with that one. Like the title indicates I need to attempt to persuade the class of something and have no idea what to persuade anyone of. Suggestions are welcomed.

Snow is still falling and the roads are thickly iced over. I think everyone here might be in for a snow day tomorrow. I wouldn't mind having a family day in with a good excuse to skip appointments.
"Here brother, let me help you with your glasses problem"

No comments:

Post a Comment