Thursday, January 20, 2011

Solid Starter

I bit the bullet. I started Inara on solids. Yes I'm being overly dramatic but the necessity of which stemmed out of me needing to emphasis my avoidance on this issue. I'm never in a rush to start my kids on solids before they are a year. I'm not meaning I don't start them before that I just mean I take it easy. Just my personal mom preference.
Jadzia did not have any interest in solids until she was close to 10 months old. She absolutely wanted nothing to do with food. She was healthy and thriving. It wasn't until I weaned her at a 13 months and she was fully on solids that her growth slowed tremendously and she started to lose. By that point she was eating well so that wasn't the issue. But that's an entirely different story that is too long to sum up in blog form.At my mom's work (a daycare center) she told her co workers about my method of introducing solids and how I delay them until my children decide they want them. She could have told them she has green monkeys clean her bathroom every week, the look would have been the same. They believed as daycare workers that parents should put their kids on solids around three months or so. This made my six month minimum and not concerned until closer to a year old solid strategy seem unfathomable.Inara is healthy and full of adorable baby chub and for this reason I saw no need to start her. But the fact she wouldn't take a bottle when I was out with Ronan was the biggest issue. What finally cemented the deal was how intently Inara would stare when I ate or drank anything. She would practically leap for my spoon and if I managed to free the spoon from her grasp she would jump at my bowl/plate to try and reach the food. I knew it was time for her to start solids. After today I know I made the right choice.I started with rice cereal. She was a baby eating pro. She opened her mouth wide and leaned forward to reach each bite. She got so excited she would pull the spoon to her mouth and after eating she would push the spoon back out to get more. Now I'll slowly introduce new foods and once I'm sure she's reaction free I'll have alternatives for feeding her if something comes up and I have to be gone too long.The only mistake I made was putting her food in one of Ronan's bowls. I had just fed him and he was content until he saw the bowl. He sat crying because he couldn't understand why I wouldn't feed him what was in his bowl. He wasn't feeling well as it was and his cough and runny nose was bad enough I had to cancel his OT home visit. After I finished feeding Inara I fed Ronan some applesauce to console the fact he thought I was taunting him. He was much happier after the applesauce.
Yes, both pictures of Ronan are from the same day. The first one is his actual reaction to sharing his bowl with his sister. The bottom one is him cleaned up and content from the applesauce. I guess I need to invest in new bowls for Inara.

No comments:

Post a Comment