Monday, September 13, 2010

Toy Pianos Bore Ronan

Ronan's hearing teacher and Physical therapist were scheduled to come by today. I was really looking forward to his PT coming over so I could show her he had started crawling since her last visit. At 10:00 his hearing teacher showed up and informed me his PT was sick today. I was a little disappointed but that was short lived as I watched his teacher's enthusiasm at his newly learned skill. She was just as thrilled as I'd envisioned his PT would have been.

His teacher worked him pretty hard because towards the end of her visit he fell asleep sitting up while she was trying to demonstrate how to operate a toy piano. She took that as her cue that Ronan was done for the day.

With Ronan napping on the floor, Inara on tummy time and Jadzia and Xander on the learning computer I got back to home school with Landon. He had a great day. He is adding his numbers just by looking at problems now. He can see 2+2= and be able to write 4. I am impressed with how quickly he picks things up. I think I'm going to start taking him to the playgroup they have in the neighborhood. The group runs every Thursday, they have arts and crafts, some learning exercises and then get to take home a book. There is no cost and I thought it would a good way for him to get to socialize with kids his own age.

The rest of the day went pretty well. The kids had afternoon naps and I worked on school. The evening we played a few games and before I knew it it was bed time. Tomorrow will be a long day for me and Ronan. Ronan has his PH test. We have to be at the hospital at 7:00 am. This is an hour and a half before the actual procedure but they want us there for prep. He will then be put under anesthesia and thankfully his IV will be started after he is out. They will then insert a probe ( a little camera) that will take pictures and measure acid levels in his body over a 48 hour period.

The main problem will be keeping this probe in his nose and away from his hands. I've been dreading this battle since the test was first described to me. I plan on having a thorough discussion with the doctor about how they expect me to keep the tube in his nose. There has to be some method that has worked for parents in the past or there's no way they'd be able to accomplish this in children this small.

After we get the result recommendations will be made with how we should proceed with controlling Ronan's severe acid reflux. There is a medication that helps him empty his food faster but I've been told it has some nasty side effects. The only other option I've been told is surgery where they wrap his stomach around his esophagus. Isaac thinks surgery is the best option because he is tired of them messing with his meds and him not getting better. He just wants it fixed for the long term. I'm concerned about making the right decision. The surgery will entail a one to two week hospital stay with a huge list of potential risks.

For now I'm taking one step at a time. I need to conquer the probe test first and once I do that I'll move on to the possibility of my baby having more surgery. I'm off to bed since we have an early day tomorrow. Here's a new picture of Inara and the only one I took today. She is three months old today! She's going to be my social butterfly and most likely a little chatter box. She is a very sweet baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment