Monday, August 22, 2011

1st Day of School!

Here we are on the day before the end of the blog challenge. It seems surreal to have made it this far. Back when I started I really wondered if I'd be able to do this the entire year. I'm very happy I have only one day to go. Not that I don't enjoy writing the blogs and then going back months later and enjoying them all over again; because I really do enjoy creating and reading each blog posts. But I'm glad to have accomplished a year long challenge.

Today was the start of our home school year. Landon is in first grade, Xander is in kindergarten and Jadzia preschool. Landon was so excited to start 1st grade and could hardly quit wiggling long enough for me to capture a picture of him. Xander was a little less thrilled. It would seem that he had his heart set on attending as he put it "an actual school". He has never brought this up before and he's known or months we were planning on doing school at home. Once we got into the actual learning he perked up a bit and started getting excited.

Jadzia was happy to have a workbook this year although she put a limited effort into her work today. Everything was "I can't know that." It went like this "Jadzia, which letter is "N"?" Jadzia: "I can't know that." It went like that for pretty much everything and I know she knew a lot of it because she's done it in the past. Maybe today was just an off day for her.We are still waiting on new and official textbooks. We'll be getting those mid to late September. Until then Landon had a little bit left in his kindergarten textbooks to complete and I figured it was a good review. Xander and Jadzia have Wal-Mart textbooks until their Abeka ones arrive.

The kids' favorite part was PE when we went outside, got some fresh air and ran around to get exercise. There was also some swinging involved and the babies got to enjoy the sunshine as well.

Ronan was super congested today and Inara's cough was worsening. When Ronan got a really bad bloody nose for the third time I decided it was doctor time. My mom went with me to help. Not only did this help with the doctor's exam but we had a t-shirt issue to work out. Ronan has bronchitis and Inara has an ear inection ( a pretty bad one according to the doctor.) We stopped at the store to wait for their meds and to try and sort out t-shirt options.

The annual Buddy Walk (the walk for Down Syndrome Awareness) is this Saturday and weeks ago I ordered t-shirts from Wal-Mart photo center. They were custom with Ronan's picture and our team name. I had been calling and calling Wal-Mart trying to figure out why they hadn't arrived yet. Finally today I found out they hadn't sent the order through right so we had no t-shirts coming despite the confirmation number I have stored on my computer.

With five small children you learn to be ready for anything. I knew it was too late to order the actual Buddy Walk shirts so this left trying to come up with another plan. We discussed using last year's shirts but those are all packed who knows where. The next plan was to just go and do the walk but I was really disappointed that we wouldn't look like a team. We finally decided we would do iron on transfers of his picture and words. While I'm not completely thrilled with this idea because they won't turn out as nice it is better than nothing.

Now I have thirteen shirts I need to custom decorate before Saturday. Somehow I will accomplish this.

No comments:

Post a Comment