Tuesday, March 22, 2011

BAER Test

My alarm went off at 4:00 am as it was supposed to and I hit it off. I sat up and leaned back closing my eyes for just a second. When I opened them again an hour had passed. We had 15 minutes to get out the door. I fed Inara and changed her and then changed Ronan. Inara went back to bed and we were out the door. We arrived just in time and then after all the rush we waited in the waiting room an hour.
They led us back to the prep room and Ronan got to ride in a car wagon. He enjoyed turning the stirring wheel and beating the horn. He was starting to act sleepy so I put him in his gown and rocked him. He fell asleep and the doctors came in to talk to us. They had decided he would stay under a six hour observation following the procedure. He would be taken up to the children's hospital which was three floors up.They took him back and then the real waiting began. We waited for about two and half hours. We got breakfast and then a round of coffee. Finally our family pager beeped indicating Ronan was ready to see us. The receptionist led us back to a very sleepy Ronan. I held him until the peds unit got a bed. All they had available was a shared room. This was the first time Ronan ever had a shared room. His room mate is around his age.
I walked down to the audiology department to get his results. His audiologist told me that his hearing is only slightly better. A year ago he was 80 decibels in his left and 50 decibels in his right. His results today were 70 in the left and 40 in the right. They are going to call me with the full detailed results later. They think that this shows his hearing loss will stay moderate. They don't think it will be progressive but we'll know more in a couple of years.
Now we are just waiting for them to release him which should be any minute now. After that I have to go to Biology class. We should be cutting it pretty close but I'm hoping I'll be able to feed Inara before I have to jet off.

No comments:

Post a Comment