Saturday, March 12, 2011

New Parents Meeting

Five kids later with my oldest turning six on Tuesday I attended the Gigi's playhouse new parents meeting. While it means new parent for having a child with Down Syndrome Ronan is almost two. I was thinking he would be the oldest but I really wanted to take him because I wanted him to see the therapy dog.When I got there I thought my assumption had been correct and Ronan was the oldest. There were eight little babies with Down Syndrome all under the age of one. Next I saw a little girl and I guessed she was probably somewhere around Ronan's age but I wasn't sure. There also ended up being a little girl who must have been about four. Ronan played a little bit and then we spotted the therapy dog. Ronan hid his face from the dog and acted scared. We all left the play room to form a circle and listen to the guest speakers. Ronan decided the therapy dog was ok because as the dog went by Ronan patted him gently on the back.We listened to a physical therapist talk about ways children should develop. She also talked about how great it is for a child to crawl on hands and knees for awhile because it gives them shoulder strength that will help later with hand writing. This is good for Ronan because he has been crawling on hands and knees for over six months. The lady with the therapy dog talked next about what kind of therapy our kids could have using a therapy dog. Each of the babies were given a stuffed bear to keep.The speakers were done and I talked with a couple of the other moms. The little girl I saw earlier that I had guessed was Ronan's age was only a few months older. Her mom had just adopted her from China six weeks earlier. Ronan and I made our way to get some last minute presents for Landon and order his cake. While we were shopping Ronan decided he would be cool stuff and use the shopping cart as a recliner.Back at home the big kids made hammerhead sharks out of construction paper. They were excited to show them to me when I got back. I was glad they had something fun to do while Ronan and I were on our little date.Inara is getting stronger and pulling to stand. She can even hold onto something with just one hand. Today she was standing with Ronan's lion push toy. She also would take a few steps towards me while only holding one of my hands. She is quickly leaving babyhood behind for toddlerhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment