Friday, November 5, 2010

Boys and Flu shots

Today was flu shot day for the three boys. Jadzia had already received her flu shot which if you read my blogs you might remember that she became sick for the 24 hours following her shot. I was a little reluctant to get the boys' their shots but their Dr. insisted it was coincidence that Jadzia got sick. Their Dr. said that the flu would have caused respiratory symptoms and not vomiting. I was still somewhat unsure but after hearing from Ronan's pulmonologist I decided it had to be done.
The Pulmonologist said that Ronan and all those living in the home should get a flu shot. Ronan is susceptible to severe complications from the flu because of his asthma and other health concerns. With all of this in mind we headed into the doctor's. I waited for a time that Isaac would come with me because I knew we'd have at least one fighter. With adrenaline pumping my boys seem to become gladiators.

Landon was first and was oddly jumping up and down with excitement for his shot. That is until he actually had to lay on the table and felt the coolness of the alcohol rubbing against his skin. "Is it going to hurt?" He quivered and I knew the fact that he'd just had four shots a few months ago that he should have known. I guess he was just hoping we would say no and mean it. The nurse gave him his shot and he let out a little bewildered "Oh" and then sat up in relief.

Next was Xander. Anyone remember the dentist and Xander? If you do you will know Xander does not take well to situations in which he thinks pain will be involved. He is MR. Tough guy when he's sick or hurt and often won't admit pain. But for some reason when he is facing the prospect of potential pain he melts. Upon seeing Landon squirm he tried to bolt and I spotted him against the far wall shaking his head and about ready to spill tears. Isaac got firm "Xander now!" Reluctantly Xander obeyed his dad and climbed onto the table. At this point he must have decided he'd made a bad choice because he began to try and jump off the table. Isaac held him down as the nurse prepared the shot.

He fought but the futility of his plight became apparent and he simply looked back at me with a single tear and with sad eyes. "Mommy help me." Mother instincts really wanted to kick in and I had to resist the overbearing urgency to tell the nurse we'd changed our minds and carry him out of the room. I simply said "It'll be over quick." The nurse stuck him and he let out a yelp and then said "Is it over now?"

Ronan was last and I knew he'd do awesome as he always does. I laid him on the table and as the nurse gave him his shot he didn't so much as flinch. It was as though nothing had happened. The boys still revealed distressed looks on their faces until the nurse said "Who wants stickers?"

In unison both big boys yelled "We Do!" The nurse was very generous with the stickers and they walked out with about ten stickers each. Jadzia was pleased because they gave some to her. I have to get the kids to bed now and then my mom and I are going to go do some shopping. Ronan needs a winter coat so with the weather threatening winter chill more each day I figured it's time he has his own coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment