Monday, November 1, 2010

Tear Duct Cleansing


5:00 am was dark and cold. I know because that was the time I was up and trying to determine how to dress Ronan. 6 degrees above freezing called for me to put Ronan in a coat but I recently watched a carseat video about how it's unsafe to have your child wear their winter coat in the carseat. The plan was to start the car, put the coat and blanket on Ronan to the car then remove coat while in the car since the car would already be warm.We were on the road and I was excited we were actually going to be early until halfway there it hit me. I'd forgotten to bring Ronan's apple sauce. He was supposed to have apple juice so they knew he could drink before he could leave but since he aspirates thin liquids I had to take apple sauce. I glanced at the clock trying to calculate if I could squeeze in a five minute Wal-mart run for apple sauce. I pulled off the Wal-mart exit and parked. I quickly put Ronan's coat on and we darted inside. Something about our Wal-mart that I will never understand is at night until early morning they close the non grocery doors. The problem with this is after they close those doors they only leave registers closest to the closed doors open.

I got the apple sauce then squinted down the row of registers trying to find any open ones. Clear on the other side of the store there was one open register. I scurried quickly but there was a lady with a large cart full of bags of candy. She had about thirty different types of candy and wanted literally everyone of them price checked before she decided if she wanted to buy any. After the fifth price checked bag and agreement to purchase I knew this five minute apple sauce trip had expanded into about fifteen minutes. Just as I thought I might ditch the apple sauce I heard "I can help you over here." I was in a near run to the newly open register. A lady with a full cart made it first but after seeing my bewildered look and the small jar of apple sauce in my hand she told me to go before her. I could tell by the level of her "Your welcome" that she had picked up in my thank you that she had just been involved in life saving measures.

We made it back to the car and I slipped his coat back off and into the carseat he went. I now had ten minutes to make a fifteen minute drive. As we drove into the parking lot a sudden sensation of confusion began to seep into my mind. Only two cars? I got Ronan out and put his coat back on. We made it into the building with Ronan on my hip and bags and paperwork in the other. The lady at the front desk shot me an uh oh look.

"Didn't they tell you we had to get this building re-registered because it's under new ownership. So temporarily we have moved." My eyes went slightly wide. She proceeded to give me directions. "The first stop light after you leave here go left and then on the left there will be a canopy in front of a building and that's it." "First stop light go left?" "Yes."

I headed back out to the car and off went the coat. I went left at the first stop light. There were two buildings side by side, both had canopys. The first was dark and the second said surgery on it. I went with the second. I put the coat back on and in we went. "Eye surgery?" I asked hesitantly. "No, we're orthopedics. Try over that way there a re lot of medical things over there." This time when I removed Ronan's coat and buckled him in he let out a wail in protest of being taken in and out of his carseat. I decided the best move would be to go where the orthopedics ladies had suggested. I went to what would have been the second stop light and turned left on the left there was a canopy building. I made the determination that if this was not it then I was going home and calling them to tell them I had not been told of the new location and we had gotten lost.A half an hour late I came hauling Ronan and our things through a door marked surgery. "Please tell me this is the eye surgery office?" I pleaded to the receptionist. "Yes, this is the right place." I checked Ronan in and collapsed in relief a half an hour late. We were taken back pretty quickly and they got Ronan all prepped. The nurse came to take him back and I was led to a consult room to wait for the doctor. I waited for about twenty minutes when the doctor appeared. He told me both Ronan's tear ducts had been clogged rock solid and that Ronan had to have been miserable for awhile now. I was then allowed to be reunited with my son.He was fussy and sleepy but otherwise doing well. After they watched him eat his apple sauce we were free to go. I dropped him off at home and went back out to pick up his prescription. He's slept for most of the day and is in better spirits this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment