Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Desk for Kindergarten

Ronan woke up with a black eye. His left eye was bruised as a result of the surgery and the bruise was a straight line which I surmise is the exact area of his tear duct. The side that bruised was the less clogged eye so I wonder why it ended up with more bruising. I was unsure if I should put his glasses on because I thought the eye would be really sore but when I put them on he didn't even flinch or cry. I'm hoping this is an indication that either the Tylenol or the pain relieving drops are working for him. He does have a high level of pain tolerance so it is difficult for me to try and gauge how much pain he is actually feeling. Back in the NICU after his esophagus surgery the nurses couldn't tell if he was in any post operative pain. They gave him the pain meds anyway but said usually babies will be restless or crying a little and Ronan did neither. I have since learned this is because of his exceptional ability to resist pain. This is both a benefit and a curse, a benefit because he handles pain like a champ but bad because it's hard to determine how hurt he is at times.
With my clutter corner picked up and organized there was now an open space available. I had Isaac drag Landon's desk out of the garage. I went to work sanitizing it and scrubbing it down and it has a fresh look to it. I placed the desk in the corner and it fit perfect. Landon now has a better work area to do his school. I can sit on the couch and lean over and help him or give him instruction. He was thrilled this morning when he woke up and saw it sitting there. He jumped up and down and told me thank you quite a few times.The new desk gave him an all new motivation to get going on school this morning. His reading is going great and he even read the word Pumpkin all by himself today with no picture reference. I'm trying to get him to make it through an entire short story but every time he comes to a big word and reads it he gets too excited and has to say "I read that word! I'm so smart!" It's very cute and I'm sure eventually the excitement will fade and we'll make it through a story. At the same time I hope some part of him never loses that enthusiasm for learning.

As I'm sure everyone is aware today was election day. Isaac and I went out and voted and got our grocery shopping done. Our cupboards were getting pretty bare and I had to really stretch my imagination to come up with something edible for dinner. Times like tonight I realize I waited a day or two too long to make a grocery trip. Inara is getting her first tooth and she is none too happy about it. She has a low grade fever and a bit fussy. Isaac also pulled her jumperoo from the garage. She was very happy to have something to bounce in. She is at the grabby stage so she enjoyed figuring out which way to spin and push all the little toys. After about twenty minutes she reclined and just sort of relaxed in the jumperoo in patient anticipation of mommy taking her out.
I have an exam due tonight then hopefully Isaac and I can watch a movie together.

No comments:

Post a Comment