Saturday, December 18, 2010

Gorilla for Christmas

Tonight as I type this the Grinch cartoon is playing in the background and my children are watching it intently. They've never seen it before and their smiles and laughter are indicating their enjoyment.
We aren't huge Santa fans here. We don't actively try to get our kids to believe in Santa and he isn't really brought up around Christmas time or anytime really. In fact before today my kids have never gone to see Santa. Our focus is on Jesus coming to be born in a manger so he could eventually go to the cross and die for our sins. Today was the Gigi's Christmas party and the excitement in the building was surrounding Santa coming and giving treat bags.We arrived and they began with story time. Jadzia and Xander preferred to hang back while Landon jumped right in and joined everyone else on the Polar Express. After the story was over Jadzia and Xander ran back to the toy room to play. Landon stayed with everyone else and joined in the circle song time. He's my social one and thrives on human interaction.
Craft time was next with the three big kids making icecream ornaments and Ronan put stickers and stamps all over a Christmas tree picture. As Jadzia was putting her final bead on her ornament they called for us to form a lunch line. I had brought the four oldest by myself so the next task was to get three big kids through the line without any food spilling while I navigated Ronan and his stroller through a narrow line.Somehow we made it through the end with all food and children intact. "I want to see Santa!" Xander said. "How do you know Santa is here?" I asked while I fed Ronan. "I saw the man that is pretending to be Santa put his beard on." I gave him a smile thinking about how that scene might have unraveled another child. "Why do you want to see Santa?" "Because he's giving treat bags." Xander's eyes were wide with excitement. Landon whispered "Mom, I know Santa is make believe but can we pretend to get treat bags?" "Ok finish your lunch and we'll see what we can do." The kids all finished their plates in a hurry and we headed to the Santa line.
Landon simply posed for a picture and then moved quickly to get his treats. Xander had to pause and said "Santa, I want a gorilla for Christmas. Not a toy one I already have two of those but a real live one to live in our back yard. Even though it's cold he'll have lots of fur so he'll be fine." I don't think Santa really knew what to say to that one. Xander got a quick picture then requested one with Ronan. Ronan simply starred at Santa and then back at me then back to Santa. It was as though he was wondering why I would put him on the strange white bearded man's lap. After the picture I ran and got him and he leaped for me. Jadzia tried to explain she wanted a Lalaloopsy doll for Christmas but Santa missed the memo out of lack of understanding as to what a Lalaloppsy doll was.
The kids were happy to have their treat bags and I started the task of trying to find their coats in the massive mountain of piled coats. Finally we headed home and four very tired kids took a nap. Tomorrow is the Christmas play. I'm very excited to see my camel, sheep and wiseman do an awesome job. Jadzia has been practicing all day by Baaing throughout the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment