Monday, May 16, 2011

Xander Turns Five

Alexander Maddox "Xander" was born at 11:43 am five years ago today. He still holds the record for my biggest baby at 7lbs 3oz which is funny because if he had had his way he would have been the smallest. Around 28 weeks with him I had contractions and went into the hospital. I was dilated to a two and had a positive Fetal Fibronectin. To be honest the Fetal Fibronectin test is nearly useless and proves more accurate if you are negative than positive. Negative means most likely you will not have your baby within two weeks of the test.

A positive means you might. Since mine was positive the doctors were more edgy. They watched me, gave me trib ( a medication that stops contractions but never works on me) after I dilated from a 2-4 in an hour they took the tough route and put me on mag. The stuff is horrid and the nurse told me most women can't do anything while on it. I was able to eat and sit up. I was left for a week before the doctor told me I had to go off because the stuff was poison. Those were his words "Poison". They had been pumping my baby and me full of poison for a week.

I was 29 weeks by this point and they sent me home until 36 on complete bed rest with a drug called Procardia. I had to take it at exactly the right times. So much so I had to keep a timer. My mother in-law had my oldest. I did nothing but sulk about missing my older baby. Thinking back there could have been much more productive ways to spend my bedrest but at barely 21 I was none too wise ,still working on that.The most ironic part was after all this keeping the baby in he ended up having to be induced one day before 39 weeks because of issues (probably all the medication). Xander's labor was about an hour start to finish. I went from a five to ten in literally five minutes. I don't recommend it. He was out so fast he had a bruised face. He was screaming from the moment he was born. He was so cuddly too. I carried him everywhere I went. By 6 months he was a heaping 20lbs.

He walked the exact day he turned 8 months. I don't mean take steps I mean he was walking all over the house the day he turned eight months. He was fully potty trained by 19 months and talking full sentences well before his second birthday. It's been hard to keep up with him. You add all that cleverness to an ornery sense of humor and you get one mischievous little boy. He always has a way to make me laugh and the boy is a charmer. Not a day goes by that he doesn't call me a beautiful queen. There's so much more I could say about my little tough guy but this is one blog post so moving on to the actual day.When he woke up he had a present from Grandpa and Grandma Spencer. They got him a happy napper dragon. The stuffed dragon folds up into it's house which is a pillow castle. We had chocolate cake for breakfast. Yes, we did. We broke the rules. We loved every minute of it.

Ronan's hearing teacher and nurse came shortly after our chocolate cake fiesta. His nurse is going to get me stickers for his cheeks. Having a toddler on oxygen presents a constant challenge. It is a battle of the wills throughout the night.

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. We are going to the circus tomorrow so I tried to keep today low key. Xander's actual party will be the same time as Ronan's in two weeks. We will be going to the zoo and there is going to be a huge dinosaur exhibit. Inara did spike another fever but I was able to bring it down with Motrin until tonight she's still sitting at low grade.I got all my books for Summer semester and I start next week. I had a nice two week breather and now it's time to officially hit the books again so I can receive my actual degree in August. I have a blank diploma cover waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment