Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Professional Stair Climber

The insulation people arrived bright and early. Shortly after their arrival we had around 5- 10 contractors looking over the house to decide what their bids will be. While all this chaos was ensuing I was feeding the kids breakfast, getting them dressed for the day and trying to ready Ronan for his therapy day. I did a mental check to make sure all of his gear was in place and we were out the door.

Today his speech therapist was on vacation so he had a substitute who was extremely excited to get Ronan talking. I loved her enthusiasm. I explained to her he doesn't talk at all. He only signs but she wanted to work on getting him to actually vocalize the words. I appreciated her effort as I'm hoping one day Ronan will be able to speak but if signing becomes the way he communicates I will be content with that. I merely want the ability to communicate with my son but I put no limit on his capabilities.

I had to leave his session early because I had to attend a cares meeting in another part of the building. When his OT arrived to do the OT/speech overlap session I took off to find room 330. Thanks to the lady's (at the front desk) directions I made my way. I almost took a wrong turn but Ronan's Respite manager found me just as I was headed in the wrong direction. He lead me back to the right room. Everyone at the meeting basically wanted me to describe Ronan. They wanted to know his personality what he liked and didn't. Then they wanted me to run through all his medical conditions and needs.

One of these days I'm going to type up a pamphlet that I can hand people that details everything about Ronan. I try to remember everything off hand and I always leave something out. They must realize this and that is why they sent me home with homework. I need to fill out a very detailed description of everything about Ronan and all of his cares. They told me to be very detailed and said they have even had someone who wrote a 120 page report about their child. At that point I was thinking maybe I should just print the book I'm writing and give them that. Somehow I don't think I will near 120 pages. They might get lucky with ten.

After the meeting ended I went to find Ronan in the gym who was now with his PT. I could see immediately he was giving her his pouty face. She said he had been walking really well and was just getting tired. She was giving him a break to swing. She told me he bore weight on his arms for five minutes on the swing. It's hard to explain exactly what this means but the swing used is an unusual type that I can't remeber the name of. Anyway Ronan hates bearing weight with his arms while on this swing so five minutes was phenomenal.

We did some more walking. Ronan would walk to her and then me and back again. We discussed his gait. I was wondering if it was normal because he walks just like a little chimpanzee. While it is absolutely adorable I wanted to be sure as he grew he'd walk like he should. She assured me while she also noticed this he was doing well for having low muscle tone. She thinks his braces will help aide in teaching him proper stance and gait. Basically I can rest assured Ronan will walk normal in the future.This afternoon I discovered Inara can swiftly climb stairs. I knew she could climb one or two but her stair climbing potential had been in the past squashed by a very protective mommy. I discovered her well established skill by accident. I told Jadzia to go up to nap and make sure she shut the gate. I saw the gate swing out behind her showing me she had not heard my admonishment. Inara was right there. I rushed over to grab her and she was already half way up. I let her climb to the top. I had her climb them again to record her accomplishment. If you are friends with me on Facebook you can watch the video of her climbing the stairsShe laughs in the video and I know it is due to the excitement of not being apprehended. The stairs have always been off limits and now she was free to do what she knew she could do all along if mommy would just quit stifling her abilities.Tonight I had Human Biology class. We talked about muscles and the professor gave us some excellent tips on how to maximize our exercise routine. I really need to hit the books I'm avoiding so off I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment